National Report on Schooling in Australia
ACARA publishes the annual National Report on Schooling in Australia on behalf of Australian education ministers.
- addresses the 11 areas of commitment to action specified in the Alice Springs (Mparntwe) Education Declaration
- outlines national policy and reporting context for school education
- reports on nationally agreed key performance measures (KPMs) for schooling
- provides statisitics on school and staff numbers, student enrolments and school funding
Latest available data
From 2022, the National Report on Schooling in Australia is moving to a progressive release, allowing the chapters to be published as the latest data becomes available, with the report to be integrated with the interactive data portal.
The year of the latest available data is indicated next to the link to the interactive datasets.
Key performance measures
The nationally agreed key performance measures (KPMs) for schooling, specified in the Measurement Framework for Schooling in Australia 2020, highlight the key facts and figures from the National Report on Schooling in Australia
Schools and schooling
Policies and priorities
Enrolment and attendance
Vocational Education and Training (VET)
Participation in education, training and work
Interpreting the data
When using the interactive datasets please:
- refer to the user guide
- use/read the data in conjunction with the detailed findings commentary included on the data portal pages, and the notes and caveats associated with each part of the portal
- interpret all data with caution and in the relevant context.
National Report on Schooling in Australia 2021
Read the most recent completed report, the National Report on Schooling in Australia 2021.