School income and capital expenditure in non-government schools data is sourced from non-government schools through the Australian Government Department of Education, Skills and Employment's financial questionnaire that is completed by each school for each calendar year.
Notes and caveats
- The Australian Government provided increased assistance in 2020 to some non-government schools in response to COVID-19.
- Excludes amounts related to boarding facilities, and direct payments by the Commonwealth to students and/or parents.
- Includes recurrent and capital grants, debt servicing of loans for capital and operating purposes.
- Capital expenditure excludes loan principal repayments.
- Expenditure of system offices is allocated across the schools in proportion to enrolments.
- Includes special schools.
- Catholic independent schools (also known as non-systemic Catholic schools) are classified as Catholic schools for the purpose of this collection.
- In some years, all independent schools in Tasmania and Australian Capital Territory are either classified into primary or combined school levels.
- Components may not add to totals due to rounding.
- 2009 and 2010 expenditure figures for Australian Government grants to schools, and capital expenditures by schools increased due to funding from the Australian Government 'Building the Education Revolution' program.
- For further information, please refer to the relevant part of the National Report on Schooling in Australia.
Source: Australian Government Department of Education, Skills and Employment unpublished data, with unpublished Calendar Year Implicit Price Deflator from ABS, Australian National Accounts: National Income, Expenditure and Product, Table 4.
This information relates to Part 4 of the National Report on Schooling in Australia.