School Students with Disability
Distribution of students with disability
Notes and caveats
The Nationally Consistent Collection of Data (NCCD) on School Students with Disability identifies students who received an educational adjustment due to disability. Through this collection, teachers use their professional judgement based on evidence to capture information on:
The collection is based on the broad definition of disability used in the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (DDA) and the Disability Standards for Education 2005.
- the level of adjustment that students with disability are being provided to enable them to participate in education on the same basis as other students:
- support within quality differentiated teaching practice (QDTP)
- the broad category of disability under which each student best fits:
Notes and caveats
- The collection has been designed to collect information on the full range of students who receive adjustments to support their access and participation in learning because of disability as defined in the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (DDA). Students with a medical diagnosis are a subset of those students who meet the definition of disability under the DDA and as a result, higher numbers of students are reported through the collection than in other data collections on students with disability.
- Where a student has multiple disabilities, for the purposes of this collection they are only counted once in one disability category; the one that most drives the educational adjustments provided for them. Consequently, the data may under-represent the prevalence of some categories of disability.
- Disaggregations by Level of Adjustment within Category of Disability are only available for total Australia.
- For further information on levels of adjustment and data collection model, refer to the NCCD Portal website: https://www.nccd.edu.au/
Sources: Non-government Schools Census as at 7 October 2021; Government Schools Data Submission as at 2 November 2021.
Please refer to the user guide for information on how to use the data portal.